Where's the birth certificate

Free and Strong America

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Job Description Even Gandolf Could Handle


Provided the guy is caucasian, of course.....

"For a day, a weekend, a week, up to even a month or two, Chinese companies are willing to pay high prices for fair-faced foreigners to join them as fake employees or business partners.

Some call it "White Guy Window Dressing." To others, it's known as the "White Guy in a Tie" events, "The Token White Guy Gig," or, simply, a "Face Job."

And it is, essentially, all about the age-old Chinese concept of face. To have a few foreigners hanging around means a company has prestige, money and the increasingly crucial connections -- real or not -- to businesses abroad.

"Face, we say in China, is more important than life itself," said Zhang Haihua, author of "Think Like Chinese." "Because Western countries are so developed, people think they are more well off, so people think that if a company can hire foreigners, it must have a lot of money and have very important connections overseas. So when they really want to impress someone, they may roll out a foreigner."

Or rent one....The requirements for these jobs are simple. 1. Be white. 2. Do not speak any Chinese, or really speak at all, unless asked. 3. Pretend like you just got off of an airplane yesterday."


And ladies, there's hope for you as well, provided the recently ingognito Tinkbell is at least light-complected anyway...

"White women are also a hot commodity, sometimes to pose as phony foreign girlfriends, or, in the case of Vicky Mohieddeen, to pretend to be an oil tycoon.

Mohieddeen, who is Scottish, took a job in 2008 to attend what she describes as some sort of "oil drilling conference" in Shandong province for 300 yuan ($44). Several busloads of foreigners, with nationalities ranging from Pakistani to Nigerian, were trucked to the event, she said. They were greeted by brass bands and feted with a sumptuous dinner.

"I was like, 'Yeah, we have a lot of oil in Scotland.' I didn't know what to say. It was a bit nerve-racking. We were guests of honor of the vice mayor. We were put in a nice hotel. It was quite fancy."

All of this adds up to opportunities for the intellectually dicey should that attempt at social engineering fail to generate the income that was hoped for.


3 comments:

feeno said...

'Sup JD

They'd have to pay me extra... a lot extra if I have to wear the tie. But other than that, it don't sound like a bad gig?

Hope you and G can patch things up. I saw where you extended an olive branch. For what it's worth I think the D in JD should stand for "Dandy" not what Gandapottymouth said.

I like that, Gandy and Dandy... People let me tell ya 'bout my best friend, he's a warm hearted person who will love me till the end, People let me tell ya bout my best friend, he's a one boy cuddly toy, my up my down my pride and joy. People let.......

Later, feeno

Gregg Metcalf said...

Right now I'll take the job!

photogr said...

Wonder what the pay is?